Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Cloth dyed and frame ready, only 40 x 40 for an exhibition at Brunswick Street Gallery. Just waiting for my friend, the glazier to come and play with some funky etching tools this weekend.
My favourite new eucalyptus leaf gives an amazing olive green when gently steamed and lovingly arranged on recycled silk.
Little pieces of pure joy on silk and if I get it right beautiful museum specimens
Monday, November 21, 2011
Explore the art of natural dyeing using locally sourced plant materials in this eco-friendly experimental workshop. In this workshop, we will share knowledge and investigate
· Which fabrics dye well and why
· How to get dye from natural sources
· How to mordant (fix) the dye to the fabric.
Most importantly you will gain the knowledge to continue experimenting at home.
When in 2012
SAT 21st Jan SUN 22nd Jan
How much $80
Where My Studio contact email@example.com
What to bring
· Light coloured 100% silk or wool fabric - preferably second hand, like some of the old wool blankets you can get in op shops! 100% linen and cotton will dye but to a lesser degree. Fabrics can be in small pieces or long lengths
· Interesting bits of old metal (eg, copper, iron) up to 30cm long - rust is great, as is texture
· Cord, thick wool or metal wire to bind pieces Thread, assorted needles, bulldog clips
· An apron, gloves, notepad and pen
Dyes, mordants and some suitable fabric will be provided. This list is not exhaustive.
If you feel inspired to bring anything else, please do... sharing and swapping of items encouraged!
This is a one day workshop running from 9.30 to 4.00.
Please email me with your preferred date.
Classes are limited to 5 students
Tuesday, November 15, 2011
My bowls of tricks and I are going to be at Grassroots Market on Sunday 20th November. The market is full, which is very gratifiying for stall-holders and organisers alike. Butterflies in boxes, landscapes and some new ribbons of silk balls will all be getting an airing. Details of Summer Workshops will also be available on the day and will be posted after the market to sweetly seduce you to award yourself a DAY OFF to come and mingle with some like-minded chicks and dip your hands in some dye baths at my place.